Newberg Report Night: Final details.
Here are the final details for Sunday’s events. If you want to be sure that you’re seated with someone in particular during the game and haven’t already told me, please let me know by Friday.
And a few more seats have opened up (both suites and Upper Reserved seats). I’ll give you details tomorrow in case you’re interested (or have friends who might be interested in going with you).
This year’s Newberg Report Night events are sponsored by Murphy Custom Homes.
3:00 Doors open
I’m checking to see if we can open the doors at 2:30. I’ll let you know.
The entrance to the Rangers Ballpark Hall of Fame is on Randol Mill, which is the road that borders the south edge of the ballpark grounds. The door to the Hall of Fame is between the ballpark’s first base entrance and center field entrance.
Parking information: Lots B and C are open without an attendant all day until 4:00 PM. At 4:00 PM, all lots will be attended. (North, West, and East valet stands open; South valet stand opens at 5:30 PM.)
- If you’re attending the pregame events, you’ll get your game tickets once you enter the Hall of Fame. Please bring some form of ID.
- If you’re not attending the pregame events, your game tickets will be at Will Call no later than 3:00.
The front lobby of the Hall of Fame is also where you can make your donation to the Memorial Account established by the Rangers Foundation in Honor of Shannon Stone. (Checks should be made payable to “Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation Memorial Account in Honor of Shannon Stone” – if you would like contribution acknowledgements from the organization, it’s important that your checks are made out specifically that way, or to the Foundation with “Shannon Stone Memorial Account” in the note section.)
You may donate any amount; for every $10 you donate, you will get one ticket for the raffle. Cash or checks only, please.
We’ll also have a small supply of Newberg Report T-Shirts, courtesy of Brian Maines of Johnny Velvet Tees and Julie Granberry of Graphic Solutions Group, Inc., available for $15 each (100 percent going to the Stone Family memorial account). Each shirt purchased will come with a raffle ticket.
Come early and grab a seat; it’s going to be a standing-room-only event. In any event, please arrive early enough to make your donations no later than 4:15 – we’ll begin the drawing shortly after that.
3:30 Kevin Goldstein and Jason Parks Q&A
Baseball Prospectus prospect experts and podcast tag team Kevin Goldstein and Jason Parks are set to join us as the opening act. They’ll conduct a Q&A session officially beginning at 3:30 p.m., as the theater starts to fill up – though typically this part gets rolling earlier than that if they’re ready to get started.
4:30 Raffle/auction, charitable presentation
As we’ve always done, a big part of Newberg Report Night is raising money for a charitable effort, including through your purchase of raffle tickets that day.
This year’s contribution from the event, including 100 percent of the proceeds from the raffle and auction, will go to the Shannon Stone Family via the memorial account set up by the Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation.
As always, the Hello Win Column Fund, established in July 2005 in memory of Mark and Alice Holtz by Mark’s daughter Cindy Kuster and her husband Jeff, will host a couple families from Cancer Care Services and the Ronald McDonald House at the event.
Again, for every $10 you donate to the Memorial Account set up for the Stone family, you will get one ticket for the raffle. Whoever makes the largest donation on Sunday (in the form of raffle tickets bought) will get his or her choice of any of the raffle prizes. The remaining prizes will be raffled off by drawing.
Here’s the raffle prize lineup:
• An autographed, game-used C.J. Wilson baseball (courtesy of Allen Cordrey)
• An autographed Derek Holland baseball (courtesy of Pam Lunk)
• Another autographed Derek Holland baseball (courtesy of Jeremiah Jackson)
• An autographed Tommy Hunter baseball (courtesy of Jeremiah Jackson)
• An autographed Leonys Martin baseball (courtesy of Allen Cordrey)
• Painting of Nelson Cruz and autographed, hand-painted floorboard of Jason Kidd (courtesy of artist Jason Adams)
• A copy of Carson Leslie’s book “Carry Me,” autographed by Michael Young (courtesy of Annette Leslie)
• A 2011 Newberg Report Bound Edition signed by Nolan Ryan, Jon Daniels, Thad Levine, Don Welke, Chuck Greenberg, and John Rhadigan (courtesy of Allen Cordrey)
• Two season tickets to the Artisan Center Theater mainstage shows and children’s playhouse shows for the 2012 season and remainder of the 2011 season (courtesy of Lindsay Hardisty)
• Autographed baseball cards of Ian Kinsler and David Murphy (courtesy of Grant Schiller)
• Autographed 8 x 10 multi-image photos of Martin Perez, Robbie Erlin (autographed), and Joe Wieland (autographed) (courtesy of Bryan Hoctor)
• An autographed 8 x 10 print of C.J. Wilson (courtesy of artist Pat Payton)
• An autographed 8 x 10 photo of Michael Young (courtesy of Grant Schiller)
• An 8 x 10 action photo of Neftali Feliz (courtesy of Rangers team photographer Brad Newton)
• An 11 x 14 five-photo progression of Mitch Moreland’s June 21 walkoff home run against Astros (courtesy of Rangers team photographer Brad Newton)
• An 11 x 14 action photo of Elvis Andrus (courtesy of Rangers team photographer Brad Newton)
• An 11 x 14 action photo of Josh Hamilton (courtesy of Rangers team photographer Brad Newton)
We’ll also have a few special items to put up for a quick live auction (conducted as always by Luther Davis of Davis Auctioneers), with all proceeds going to the Memorial Account set up for the Stone family, including the following:
- An ALCS baseball signed by Nolan Ryan and Jim Sundberg (courtesy of Christopher Navarre)
- An autographed Ozzie Smith baseball (courtesy of Allen Cordrey)
- An autographed Derek Jeter baseball from the 1998 World Series (courtesy of David McLean)
- Free Chick-fil-A for a year (can be used at any location) (courtesy of Traci Siler)
- A 2010 World Series print signed by Nolan Ryan, Jon Daniels, and Thad Levine (courtesy of artist Pat Payton)
- An autographed, framed Ted Williams photograph (courtesy of Heritage Auctions in Dallas)
• An autographed Reggie Jackson Yankees helmet (courtesy of Heritage Auctions in Dallas)
• A framed, autographed Alex Rodriguez Rangers jersey (courtesy of David McLean)
- An autographed Rafael Palmeiro Rangers jersey (courtesy of Matt Swaim)
- An autographed Hank Blalock Rangers jersey (courtesy of Lesley Perry)
- A Vernon Wells Sr. limited edition “All-Time Rangers Hits Leader” lithograph of Michael Young, autographed by Young and Wells (courtesy of Annette Leslie)
- An autographed Ian Kinsler jersey with World Series patch (courtesy of Lesley Perry)
- An autographed Josh Hamilton World Series jersey (courtesy of VanBreed Management)
- An inning in the TV booth with Dave Barnett and Tom Grieve (a visit, not an on-the-air segment) (courtesy of Dave and Tom)
• An 8 x 10 photo of George W. Bush throwing out Opening Day Ceremonial First Pitch (courtesy of Rangers team photographer Brad Newton)
- A 24 x 36 poster featuring Nolan Ryan, Hank Aaron, Pete Rose, and Rickey Henderson, signed by Ryan and authenticated by Steiner Sports (courtesy of Rick Canale)
• A 16 x 20 collage of seven action shots of Josh Hamilton with “Photoshop painting” effects applied (courtesy of Rangers team photographer Brad Newton)
5:00 Jon Daniels Q&A
Rangers GM Jon Daniels will join us, as he has the seven previous Newberg Report Nights, for a lengthy Q&A session with seven days remaining before the trade deadline. He should arrive at 5:00 and take your questions (and maybe a deadline-related call or text) for about 90 minutes.
6:30 To the game
At about 6:30, we’ll conclude in the theater and head to our seats and suites for Alexi Ogando’s 7:05 first pitch. (Again, you’ll pick your game tickets up just inside the Hall of Fame entrance when you arrive.)
Note: Sunday’s game is part of a “Red-Out Weekend” (in case you want to dress accordingly), and the first 10,000 fans aged 13 and under will receive a Dr Pepper/Albertsons Josh Hamilton Blue Jersey.
I’ll blast the list again if there any new details between now and Sunday.