Newberg Report Night: August 3
We’re now ready to start taking reservations for Newberg Report Night at Rangers Ballpark, which will be on Sunday, August 3, against the Blue Jays. One of the potentially cool things about doing this the first few days of August will be the possibility that the team will have one or more new players in the lineup, in the wake of the July 31 trade deadline – whether it’s prospects brought in or brought up to join the club, or veterans acquired for the stretch run.
We had about 350 attend each of the last two years and were at absolute capacity – so please make your reservations as soon as you know you’ll be attending. Once we reach auditorium capacity, we’ll have to close registration.
The gathering will be very much like last July’s, with one significant change. Here’s what we have planned:
A ticket to the Sunday, August 3 event costs $30 a person. Details:
1. RANGERS OFFICIAL (hopeful): Admission to the auditorium adjoining the Legends of the Game Museum between the first base and center field entrances to the ballpark, where a Rangers official will hold an exclusive Q&A session with our entire group – with comfortable auditorium seating – before the game. Timing this right after the trade deadline should make the Q&A even more interesting. General manager Jon Daniels has joined us the past three years, but as always it’s not possible this far out to guarantee his availability. More details on time coming soon, but I’d expect us to gather at around 4:00 or 5:00 in advance of the 7:05 p.m. game.
2. WILL CARROLL: Baseball Prospectus writer Will Carroll, who delivers the renowned “Under the Knife” column and has authored several books, including “Saving the Pitcher” and “The Juice: The Real Story of Baseball’s Drug Problems,” will join us as well, as he has every year that we’ve held Newberg Report Night. He will likely conduct a Q&A that precedes the Rangers official.
3. DONATIONS: As always, we’ll organize a charitable effort that we can all participate in that day. More details soon. I expect that, as usual, those who participate will be eligible for a raffle of memorabilia prizes.
4. HELLO WIN COLUMN FUND: In each of the last two years we made arrangements to host a family impacted by cancer at the event. We plan to do it again this year. Cindy Kuster, the daughter of the late Mark Holtz, will act on behalf of the Hello Win Column Fund as a liaison between Cancer Care Services and the Newberg Report and help select the family who will participate.
5. THE GAME: We’re going to have lower-level seats in the stadium this year, instead of luxury suites. We don’t yet know where in the stadium the seats will be – that will depend largely on the number of people who attend. Of course, you’ll still be able to sit with who you want (whether you have a large group or just a few family members or friends).
6. PROMOTION: It’s a $1 Ice Cream Sunday for fans 13 & under.
7. Note: Parking is not included.
Please sign up and pay as soon as you know you’ll be coming. We need to give the Rangers advance notice as to how many seats we’ll need. And again, it’s first come, first served.
The cost, once again, is $30, and you can pay in one of two ways:
1. You can order by credit card through PayPal by going to http://www.paypal.com, selecting the “Send money” option, and typing in firstname.lastname@example.org where you are prompted for the e-mail account.
2. Or you can send a check or money order, payable to “Jamey Newberg,” to:
Vincent & Moyé
2001 Bryan Street, Suite 2000
Dallas, TX 75201
Let me know what questions you have. I look forward to seeing lots of you there on the 3rd.